Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Thanksgiving and Reach Out

It has been a rather eventful week for me, despite getting some kind of sinus infection. I am now recovering with the help of my friend, Shashi, who took me into her house when I was at that point where I just needed someone to take over all responsibility for decision making and care. I’m now on antibiotics and on the mend. However, throughout all this illness, I was quite busy.

Last week, as many of you were celebrating Thanksgiving, we also had a special recognition of Thanksgiving at HMI. Because the group of people living at the hostel is usually from so many different places and cultures, they periodically have what’s called a ‘Cook and Share’ night. They had not yet had one of these events during the fall term, so I suggested that we combine it with the US Thanksgiving holiday. After all, the original story of Thanksgiving was a type of cross cultural meal anyway. So, in the same way that we used to do ‘Global Agape Feast’ at Luther Seminary, each person prepared something from their country/region, and we ate wonderful food for the night. Since the residents of the hostel rarely have time or opportunity to cook their own food, the preparation itself was quite special. It was fun to watch them all chopping and soaking and cooking their special ingredients in the afternoon.

I left them in their preparation glory to make my own contribution at home (wild rice and mashed potatoes) and enjoyed the wonderful smells that remind me of thanksgiving with my family. When I returned to HMI the tables were set, the candles were being lit, and staff that live outside were coming for the event. There was definitely a festive spirit in the air. See here ‘Chef Suhail’ from Kashmir, who got dressed up special for the event! Although my wild rice was only a favorite for me, the Kraft macaroni and cheese that Cate made was the favorite of many that night!

The following day, Birgit (visiting researcher from Denmark) and I left for a learning and exposure visit to a place I have been longing to go for quite some time: Reach Out Orphanage in Bapatla (near the Bay of Bengal coast). My friend, Sunitha has told me many times about this unique place which her mom runs, and I remember being involved in its support through Youth Encounter in the past. Birgit works at a teacher’s training college and hopes to write a children’s book with stories from Muslim and Christian traditions. I thought she would enjoy this opportunity to get out of the HMI bubble and see another part of Andhra Pradesh, as well as a school and residence for these special kids. Besides, I wanted to share the experience with someone - and Birgit proved to be a wonderful companion for the journey.

We were very fortunate to be able to ride with Auntie Kusuma (Sunitha’s mom) in her car on the 8 hour trip to Bapatla, especially since I was feeling a bit under the weather. This also gave us the chance to hear MANY stories of the beginnings of the orphanage, the history of many of the children, and of her own family. I cannot possibly tell you in this blog all that she shared with us, but of course, each person has quite an incredible journey. Despite all the information we received in advance, we were totally unprepared for the welcome and the embracing environment we experienced.

In the photo (which cannot possibly capture the incredible welcome), you can see what greeted us at the gate of Reach Out Orphanage, a place where 450 students go to school and 300 of them live permanently because of financial troubles, parents’ death, or other various circumstances. It is a place where kids who had very little chance of survival, instead thrive. The opportunities for them go even beyond basic education and living needs. They can do yoga, learn karate, have music or dance lessons, and there are morning and evening devotion times as well. Birgit and I shared in visiting classrooms, attending devotions, taking part in a special birthday celebration program, and even going to the ocean with the 300 kids! If you can believe it, they actually talked Birgit and I into learning and performing a modern Indian Bollywood-style dance at the evening program with the kids. (there is no picture of this for a very good reason… this was not one of our shining moments!) The residents there create their own family environment and it was a gift to see their talents and kindness to us and one another. Birgit and I were treated like queens by Auntie Kusuma (Sunitha’s mom), the staff, and the kids. The goodbye after 3 days with them was more difficult than I had expected. However, I would imagine that this is yet another place where I will return at some point.

Unfortunately, the train ride back to Hyderabad confirmed that I definitely was ill, so I have now taken a couple of days off for rest and recuperation. It has given me a little time to write this blog, though. The next few weeks will probably be extremely busy as I try to catch up at work and prepare for the holiday time. I’ll share more about that in a couple weeks. For now, sending you my best wishes…

Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home