Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Gratitude

As I periodically do a yoga routine to start my day, I often chose a word to focus on. Lately, the word GRATITUDE has come again and again. I hope to have an attitude of gratitude most of the time, but am especially surprising to find myself feeling this way even in the midst of difficult situations. I guess it maybe has much to do with being in a place of need - and so many people being there ready to do what they can.

In my community of worship, I was recently asked to give a ‘shared word’ during our weekly service. I chose to talk about Liminal Living: being in between, in transition, both/and. My life has been feeling rather liminal lately and I want to embrace it rather than be unsettled by it. It has started to become a part of my spiritual identity in fact - realizing that we always live in the now and the not yet - in between what we are and what we hope to be.

In typical fashion, once a transformational theme develops in my life, it starts to come up everywhere I turn. I shouldn’t have been so shocked to find a similar concept from India as I read the book “Eat, Love, Pray” by Elizabeth Gilbert. (It is a wonderful book that I highly recommend, by the way.) She described the life and meaning of those who are called ANTEVASIN. They are the ones who live at the border (the edge of a forest usually), not as a villager and also not yet as a transcendent, seeking wholeness or balance or purity, or… They are in sight of both worlds, but looking toward the unknown. We all are antevasins when we are in a state of learning… between the old way of thinking and new understanding.

So, as I try to soak up the lessons of being in between and in transition, there have been countless opportunities for people to guide and encourage me… especially at those times when I just plain feel lost or helpless. Here are some examples (in no particular order):

MN Int’l Center friends – for continued healing, inspiration, and flexible and meaningful work.

Community of St. Martin’s – Always there with suggestions, networking, ideas, willing and open hands, spiritual challenge and nurture, and prayers.

Mom and Dad – what can I say? You would do anything for me… and DO whenever possible. You make HOME to be everything that people idealize it to be for me and then make it possible to take that sense of home with me even so far away.

Friends – sharing meals, walks, talks/chats, your kids, ice cream, for rides and borrowed cars, visits, help in unpacking and repacking, laughter, asking good questions, allowing tears when necessary, and for not just letting things go without working them through.

Those who have given so generously financially to my ‘emergency and overseas living expense fund’ – as this week showed me (not getting my visa in time for my planned flight), there are always unexpected expenses. Because of your help, I can go into this experience without the stressful burdens of ‘what if?’

HMI folks – for patience in my arrival, arranging for my tasks and place to stay, and for this opportunity to come be there with you!

God – for all the above mentioned things that seem to be works of your hand through others…and also for the beautiful weather and moments of serenity that continuously help me to remain patient and calm when the unknowns seem overwhelming.

There is much more to say, but I’ll leave you with a hope that your heart is also filled with gratefulness.

Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home