Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

35 and Kicking

I have had two more big train journeys since I last wrote, but now I am settled back at HMI in Hyderabad for most of the rest of my time here. It has been really difficult to get computer and internet time lately, and that will probably continue this last few weeks that I am here. However, here’s what the past week and a half has been like…

My next two day train journey was much more pleasant than the previous one. I read a great book by an Indian author (The Namesake) which just became a movie now, so you could go see it if you’d like, and I also had good music and nice sleep. I arrived on time in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu and my friend from UTC, Grislie, was there to pick me up and take me to his home about 2 hours away (It’s called Sirumugai, but probably not on the map).

Grislie has been the host for MANY international students from UTC, so his family is starting to get used to having us foreigners around. In fact, a neighbour was worried about him because this time when he came back for summer break, he came alone! He calmly explained that his guest would be coming after Easter this time. However, his mom was not feeling very well. She has been sick off and on over the past few years, so Grislie and his older brother and his dad have really adjusted to taking care of the cooking and cleaning and other house concerns when necessary. They do not have house help like many Indian families, and I think it is quite unusual for the guys to take up so much of this work (see Grislie making Chicken Biriyani here!) I also was able to help with some of the daily tasks for a change. His mother felt better by the time I left, so we did enjoy a nice last evening together.

I was with them for only four days, but we did quite a bit in that time: visiting cousins, singing in church (and basically everywhere we went I was expected to sing the two songs I know in Tamil), talking with the youth group, shopping, and even watching a horror film on TV. We took a trip to a hill station (where it was SO much cooler and more comfortable) called Ooty, where his sister and aunt live with their families. We saw a great botanical garden and enjoyed walking around town a lot. We also went to an even higher peak one of the days to see the wonderful view of the area. I loved the fresh air and the laughter that his family shared.

I’m not sure if I can really say this with any credibility yet, but it seems like Tamil folks are a bit like Italians in their verbal expression. At least in Grislie’s family, they often talk at once over one another, interrupting, teasing, laughing, and using a lot of gestures. It was extremely entertaining! I also learned a lot about the issue of womens’ roles in the church, the virtual non-existance of caste and religious tensions in his area, and was able to see Indian tourists rather than primarily Westerners for a change. Grislie and his brother were virtually inseparable and made excellent hosts for me.

I boarded the next train feeling extremely eager to get to Hyderabad. Luckily, this train ride brought me the energy of two young couples and another friend of theirs in my compartment. They immediately included me in their fun and made the journey go a little faster. I officially turned 35 years old on that train ride, so it was especially nice to have these folks buy me a ‘cake’, sing to me, and also give me sweets and an ‘I love India’ keychain. It was a memorable start to my birthday.

My closest friend, Moses, was in Hyderabad to welcome me and help me celebrate the end of my birthday, and I also got some nice phone calls and lots of messages as well. I have been staying with Shobha, from HMI the past couple days, which has been an amazing blessing so that I could get some quality time with friends before I jump into an intensive two-week course. Her apartment is so warm and we’ve been talking and eating a lot. I also visited Moses’s church, where we sang and he preached for a weekday service, and then visited his home as well to reconnect with his family. Tonight, I begin the course on Interfaith Relations and Islam, which will be very good. There are about 20 participants from all over India, and a few from Europe too. I hope to get an opportunity to check in with you at the end of the week and tell you about how it is going, but chances are that I won’t get to do another blog until after it is finished (May 6). My time in India is vanishing rapidly and I struggle to invest here while also thinking of all that is to come as I return to Minneapolis. Your thoughtful support is really helpful…thank you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Clint Schnekloth said...

Congrats on finishing your thesis... it looks like you are having some incredible journeys!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Signe said...

Sara - Happy Birthday - only 12 days late...sorry! I am enjoying reading about all your adventures. I am packing to move everything to camp and found my journals from Africa...specifically our time in Uganda and our trips to Kampala. Strange and wonderful days. I am sure you are soaking up this experience with even more enthusiasm. Did I mention I'm the director at Camp Perkins now? Long story. You are in my prayers. I love and miss you!

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home