Coming full circle, or going in circles?
It is sometimes difficult to determine whether I am coming full circle or going in circles, as the title of this blog states. However, I have become more and more sure that my present life decision as a full circle - or at least fulfilling vocation - kind of situation:
I will be serving as the Academic Coordinator at the Henry Martyn Institute (HMI) in Hyderabad, India starting at the beginning of September!
Big news, huh? Believe me, I am still in a state of shock about it all happening, even though I've been considering this option for quite some time. But, let me tell you a little about the journey to this decision and also about HMI and what it is all about.
When I worked at Luther Seminary, we periodically had student exchanges with HMI through the Islamic Studies Program, so I knew about the place and worked with a couple international students from there in the past. Part of my recent journey to India included a visit to HMI on behalf of Luther Seminary. I was immediately drawn to the place, the people, and especially the important work they are doing there to build healthy interfaith relationships in a very religiously diverse context. I chose to volunteer at HMI after my 'work' there was complete, and just before my return to the U.S. I took a 2 week course there on Interfaith Relations and Islam (the main emphases of the school). During the 2 months or so that I was on their campus, I got to know the community well (it is a very small campus) and talk began about how I might fit in as a part of their staff.
I bonded right away with Shobha, whose job was very similar to what I did at Luther Seminary in many ways. We also had many similarities in our skills and our passions. Shobha was preparing to go to the UK for a 2 year study leave and so people saw me as a natural fit to fill her position. I thought they might simply be teasing at first, but after speaking with the director there, I started to consider this as an option for my next step as well. After all, I went to India with an open mind about where it might lead, and as my career is in the field of intercultural communications, a placement overseas is a very positive and enriching endeavor. When you add the interreligious element to the picture, HMI becomes even more suitable for me. I was very impressed with the school's dedication to praxis work (community projects in the city where Hindus, Muslims, and Christians get to know one another personally and in safe environments, and workshops with various groups from all over India and in Sri Lanka to learn about conflict transformation and peace building) as well as academic learning about multiple faith values, beliefs, traditions, etc. (to learn more about HMI, go to www.hmiindia.com) The job is primarily centered on administrative duties, but there is lots of flexibility to work with the various students and scholars from around the world who come there, as well as attending and leading some workshops of my own.
However, many pieces of the puzzle had to come together in just the right way for both HMI and for me in order for this to work. Well, it looks as though the puzzle is as complete as it is gonna get... with many pieces miraculously fitting together better than I could have imagined. There are many unknowns, of course, and I don't pretend that it is going to be easy... but I guess I am not looking for the easy path, but as Robert Frost's poem states, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Talking this through with my friends, family, and other wise people in my world has really helped me to discern. The Robert Frost poem appeared as I went through my friend Robin's work files (I've been doing temporary work in the office where she worked before she died) and it was one of the many messages she seemed to be sending me as I continue to experience her important guidance in my life. Also, there have been Holy Spirit moments in which I sense I'm being nudged in a specific direction through a shared message/sermon or in my own times of reflection.
My tasks right now are to set a departure date and get my ticket and visa... find a reliable family or someone to rent my house for 1-2 years... and ensure that I am financially stable for this venture. I will be given a 'stipend' to support my daily needs in India - and not supported by any mission agency, so I'll be forced to maintain the simple lifestyle I seek to lead in my daily life anyway.
I dread the goodbyes and the distance from my family and friends. Truly, being home this summer is absolutely wonderful and it's hard to imagine leaving again. But at the same time, this is where I feel led, where I feel that 'the needs of the world match the desires of my heart," in the best way right now. I am thankful for the support that I get in following my dreams, passions, callings of my life from so many people around me, especially my parents. Thanks for keeping up on all that is happening in my world. I will do my best to continue to share all that I am learning and discovering through this blog as I communicate with most of you through the internet when in India. I hope you’ll join me and find the journey to be just as fascinating as I do!
I will be serving as the Academic Coordinator at the Henry Martyn Institute (HMI) in Hyderabad, India starting at the beginning of September!
Big news, huh? Believe me, I am still in a state of shock about it all happening, even though I've been considering this option for quite some time. But, let me tell you a little about the journey to this decision and also about HMI and what it is all about.
When I worked at Luther Seminary, we periodically had student exchanges with HMI through the Islamic Studies Program, so I knew about the place and worked with a couple international students from there in the past. Part of my recent journey to India included a visit to HMI on behalf of Luther Seminary. I was immediately drawn to the place, the people, and especially the important work they are doing there to build healthy interfaith relationships in a very religiously diverse context. I chose to volunteer at HMI after my 'work' there was complete, and just before my return to the U.S. I took a 2 week course there on Interfaith Relations and Islam (the main emphases of the school). During the 2 months or so that I was on their campus, I got to know the community well (it is a very small campus) and talk began about how I might fit in as a part of their staff.
I bonded right away with Shobha, whose job was very similar to what I did at Luther Seminary in many ways. We also had many similarities in our skills and our passions. Shobha was preparing to go to the UK for a 2 year study leave and so people saw me as a natural fit to fill her position. I thought they might simply be teasing at first, but after speaking with the director there, I started to consider this as an option for my next step as well. After all, I went to India with an open mind about where it might lead, and as my career is in the field of intercultural communications, a placement overseas is a very positive and enriching endeavor. When you add the interreligious element to the picture, HMI becomes even more suitable for me. I was very impressed with the school's dedication to praxis work (community projects in the city where Hindus, Muslims, and Christians get to know one another personally and in safe environments, and workshops with various groups from all over India and in Sri Lanka to learn about conflict transformation and peace building) as well as academic learning about multiple faith values, beliefs, traditions, etc. (to learn more about HMI, go to www.hmiindia.com) The job is primarily centered on administrative duties, but there is lots of flexibility to work with the various students and scholars from around the world who come there, as well as attending and leading some workshops of my own.
However, many pieces of the puzzle had to come together in just the right way for both HMI and for me in order for this to work. Well, it looks as though the puzzle is as complete as it is gonna get... with many pieces miraculously fitting together better than I could have imagined. There are many unknowns, of course, and I don't pretend that it is going to be easy... but I guess I am not looking for the easy path, but as Robert Frost's poem states, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Talking this through with my friends, family, and other wise people in my world has really helped me to discern. The Robert Frost poem appeared as I went through my friend Robin's work files (I've been doing temporary work in the office where she worked before she died) and it was one of the many messages she seemed to be sending me as I continue to experience her important guidance in my life. Also, there have been Holy Spirit moments in which I sense I'm being nudged in a specific direction through a shared message/sermon or in my own times of reflection.
My tasks right now are to set a departure date and get my ticket and visa... find a reliable family or someone to rent my house for 1-2 years... and ensure that I am financially stable for this venture. I will be given a 'stipend' to support my daily needs in India - and not supported by any mission agency, so I'll be forced to maintain the simple lifestyle I seek to lead in my daily life anyway.
I dread the goodbyes and the distance from my family and friends. Truly, being home this summer is absolutely wonderful and it's hard to imagine leaving again. But at the same time, this is where I feel led, where I feel that 'the needs of the world match the desires of my heart," in the best way right now. I am thankful for the support that I get in following my dreams, passions, callings of my life from so many people around me, especially my parents. Thanks for keeping up on all that is happening in my world. I will do my best to continue to share all that I am learning and discovering through this blog as I communicate with most of you through the internet when in India. I hope you’ll join me and find the journey to be just as fascinating as I do!

1 Comments:
Dear Sara, Thank you for pointing me to your blog and your awesome news. Oh my goodness, this is so wonderful. You are so perfect for this. It's heartening to be reminded that the Holy Spirit really does move things miraculously and it is exactly that for which I am praying for us. Thanks, Sara. All my best. I would love to have coffee with you before you go. With love, Terri
Post a Comment
<< Home