Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Monday, December 11, 2006

The Travels Begin

Last time I wrote, UTC was still my home. Now... I am finding my way through much change and adjustment each day again. Let me talk you through the transitions:

The final few days at UTC were filled with fun activities. Luckily, I recovered from my illness enought to enjoy it all. It began with my first Hindi movie in a theater - "Doom II" which is titled after the excitment that occurs throughout the movie. That got me ready (after a long nap) for the evening carolling throughout the various parts of UTC campuses. I have been involved with a carolling group in High School and really appreciate bringing in Christmas with singing wanderers, but the students at UTC go ALL OUT when it comes to this celebration. It was like someone suddenly gave them a jolt of energy so that we sang and danced from 8:30-1:30 am, I believe. I got one of my professors, who is usually quite reserved, to dance with me, and even the Principal got up and busted a move (see photo). But that was not all, after having soup at the Principal's house at 1:30, we then went on to dance around a campfire for another couple hours. It was 4:00 before I went to bed!

The next night was a Christmas banquet on campus. Many college supporters were invited and it was more formal than the previous evening (to say the least). I wore a saree for the second time. And the third night was the Christmas Program, where each language group at UTC prepared a song, scripture was read in various languages, and the choir concluded with the Halleluia Chorus (see photo). You should be proud of them - we worked hard to get it together for the program amidst exams and all the other activities everyone has going involved in. I was given the chance to sing with a professional musician from Mizoram (a state in NE India) at the program and evidently now I am even in the newspapers in Mizoram because of it! It went well, but there was a lot of stress leading up to it and I was glad to have it over with...another experience to put on my list.

Monday morning brought my first difficult goodbye... to Henrika. I actually am not struggling too much with goodbyes because I'll see everyone at UTC in 3 months time again. But Henrika will be in Germany. We may not have become best buddies, but we certainly were important in one anothers' lives for the time at UTC. After saying goodbye to her at the train, I had to go and take my exam, which was not ideal, but I finished it, and that's what's important. Packing and doing 100 last minute things filled my time until we went to the train station... where we had a large send off. There were about 12 of us going to Hyderabad and about the same number of friends there to wish us well. The overnight train ride was very calm and I slept for several hours as well as having a crash course in Telegu phrases.

Hyderabad - finally! A place that in my mind is so familiar, but in reality is completely new! The Bollam family welcomed me in to rest from the long journey, but from then on it has been GO! GO! GO! I told my friend, Moses, that I was interested in meeting people and seeing places that were important to him rather than doing a bunch of touristy things, and believe me, keeping up with he and his family has kept me very busy!

Tuesday we went to the Henry Martyn Institute, where I will be doing some work in January for Luther Seminary. An International student from Luther was there to give a tour and introduce me to people there and it was great to see Vijay again!! I also saw some famous spots in Hyderabad: Charminar and Golconda Fort. The evening was spent with the Bollams - dinner, prayer time, and watching their silver wedding anniversary video (a HUGE event that happened a few weeks ago).

Wednesday, the Bollam family and I took a trip to Medak, a mission station where an amazing and famous church was built. It happens to be Moses's mom's hometown and the place where he was born and baptized, so we absorbed the majesty of the church, chatted with his family members, and even flew a kite with some kids. Playing games and singing songs in the van on the drive back and forth was also a highlight.

On Thursday, Moses, his mom, and I met up with two other UTC classmates at the Dornakal Cathedral and then moved on to Basy's home for lunch with his mom. Basy and Mapuii had spent the last couple days sleeping more than anything, so they were ready for adventures, but it ended up being a very long day. We went to see a big church that is important to Basy (St. Andrews in Kothagudem), back to his house for supper, and then an all night bus ride back to Hyderabad. Phew!

Since Mapuii had to leave on Friday evening, we were on the move again to have lunch with another classmate, Christian, and to the Birla Temple made of marble and that looks over the city in a wonderful view. After sending Mapuii and Basy off on separate trains, I finally got to see Moses's present church. The youth group was preparing for a singing competition and I taught them "Soon and Very Soon" complete with dance for the competition. That was fun and last night they competed, but I don't yet know how it all turned out because I was unable to attend.

That congregation is a large one which supports many ministries in the area, including building new churches in more rural areas. On Saturday, I accompanied the congregation members for a church dedication celebration with the BIG BISHOP in Kasaram (1 1/2 hours from Hyderabad). I sang one of the songs that Moses had written for the celebration and everyone was amazed that I knew Telegu so well! That event took basically the whole day, with a little more practice with the youth group that night.

We arose EARLY on Sunday morning so that I could attend worship before hopping on the plane to Sri Lanka. Not only did I attend worship, but I also sang another song composed by Moses for that service! As always, I cannot say no to singing. And the more I sing, the more people say, "Oh, can you come sing for...?"

I am now feeling a huge let down as I sit here in Sri Lanka, where I know no one and it's stinkin HOT! I can't complain too much though because I am staying at the YMCA, which is a nice place to be and in a good area where I can walk to places like the internet cafe and even the Indian Embassy. My visit to the Embassy went well this morning and I should have my visa on Thursday before I leave early Friday morning. Until then, I am recovering with sleep and reconnecting with friends back home. I'll say more about Sri Lanka in my next blog. For now, however, I'll sign off.

Sweating and sleeping,
Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home