All the best...
The countdown here at UTC has begun. I am starting to feel the rollercoaster of emotions that seem to be a common thing in my life. I’m pulling away and trying to fit as much in as possible all at the same time! It has also been a different kind of week for me in terms of schedule and atmosphere as well, so I guess it’s a season of change.
This was exam week, so the campus has been much quieter and more serious than usual. The most common phrase I’ve heard this week is “All the best”, which is basically our equivalent to “Good luck,” but I like it better since I don’t really believe in luck… and I continue to realize how much the words we use MATTER! Anyway, I have been more studious this week as well, finishing a paper, studying for an exam, and writing a reflection paper. I hope that this will also give me a jump start to thinking about my thesis for Luther Seminary about Missionary Kids’ Reentry as well!
The early part of my week was spent away from campus on a ‘field exposure experience’ near Vellore, Tamil Nadu. Henrika the German, Barbara the NE Indian, and I had a good experience in putting all our senses in action, instead of just hearing about rural life. Overall, the trip was basically the exact same kind of thing I did in East Africa for 5 months, but there were some added elements that were unique.
First of all, this was my first train ride in India. Both going and coming was an adventure because we did not have reserved seats on the way there, so I stood in the aisle for the first 2 hours of the trip (out of 4 hours total). That wasn’t so bad, but it did cause me to feel extra tired after travel. On the return trip, we had seats, but we got on the wrong car and ended up squeezing our way through about 13 PACKED rail cars and running outside of the train at one stop in order to get to the right one. I teased that we had the opportunity to meet almost everyone on the train in an up close and personal kind of way!

Our exposure included: 1) Visiting a village of Christians who were almost all employed as ‘bidi’ workers. This means that tobacco was brought to them from Punjab (far away) and they make bundles of cigarettes all day long. This was a brief visit and communication was difficult, but we enjoyed some fresh ground nuts and had a nice walk through the village. 2) Staying in Thondan Thulasi Village Church. About 25 Dalit Christian families make up the congregation and we visited many of their homes (for about 2 minutes each) the first evening. We also sang and played games with the kids hanging out at the church – which was our home for the two nights (sleeping on woven mats on the floor was challenging, but we did it). 3) We attended a women’s devotional time, two flag raising ceremonies (one
at the top of a big hill and the other at the church as a part of the begi
nning of Advent), a worship service (where 4 young boys were baptized, Barbara preached, and Henrika and I sang our song in Tamil for them), a community lunch, and even the first night of Christmas Caroling through the village. Since the people hosting us are Dalits (untouchables) in a village that includes several Hindu families, each public event was a statement of faith and identity in which the congregation seemed to take great pride. I enjoyed two very wonderful quiet walks with our ‘guide and protector’ – a young boy about 12 yrs who I think was ‘assigned’ the job of watching out for the foreigners when the wandered away from the church! 3) We visited the Christian Medical College Hospital in the larger town of Vellore – one of the best hospitals in India, it seems. We had to take a self-guided tour, which was quite confusing, but at least we can say we’ve been there when people inevitably ask!
It was good to be back on campus and catch up with friends whenever they were taking study breaks. However, after studying for my exam so diligently, I ended up getting sick just the night before the exam. I thought for sure it was malaria as I had a fever and chills and all that I saw my teammates go through… but both Henrika and I got tested and the results were negative, so I had just one really bad day of feeling awful. It ends up I got some kind of gut infection. Nice, huh? We went to a really nice hospital for the test and for a Dr. visit. I was impressed.
I make up my exam on Monday… the day I leave for Hyderabad, and before that there are 100 Christmas programs. I’m trying to regain strength, but also not miss some of the important goodbyes and celebrations that I’ve been looking forward to. I managed to see a Hindi movie in the theater as a part of my recouperation and last night was a big time of caroling and dancing.
I don’t know how this blog will happen next week, but I’ll get something on here. I have some great pictures, but once again, I am having trouble getting them up on the computer right now. Last of all, I will no longer have a phone after Sunday night. I’ll let you know if/when I get another. Please think of me as I begin to say goodbye to so many incredible people and this place that has quickly become home.
Wishing you ALL THE BEST!
Sara
This was exam week, so the campus has been much quieter and more serious than usual. The most common phrase I’ve heard this week is “All the best”, which is basically our equivalent to “Good luck,” but I like it better since I don’t really believe in luck… and I continue to realize how much the words we use MATTER! Anyway, I have been more studious this week as well, finishing a paper, studying for an exam, and writing a reflection paper. I hope that this will also give me a jump start to thinking about my thesis for Luther Seminary about Missionary Kids’ Reentry as well!
The early part of my week was spent away from campus on a ‘field exposure experience’ near Vellore, Tamil Nadu. Henrika the German, Barbara the NE Indian, and I had a good experience in putting all our senses in action, instead of just hearing about rural life. Overall, the trip was basically the exact same kind of thing I did in East Africa for 5 months, but there were some added elements that were unique.
First of all, this was my first train ride in India. Both going and coming was an adventure because we did not have reserved seats on the way there, so I stood in the aisle for the first 2 hours of the trip (out of 4 hours total). That wasn’t so bad, but it did cause me to feel extra tired after travel. On the return trip, we had seats, but we got on the wrong car and ended up squeezing our way through about 13 PACKED rail cars and running outside of the train at one stop in order to get to the right one. I teased that we had the opportunity to meet almost everyone on the train in an up close and personal kind of way!

Our exposure included: 1) Visiting a village of Christians who were almost all employed as ‘bidi’ workers. This means that tobacco was brought to them from Punjab (far away) and they make bundles of cigarettes all day long. This was a brief visit and communication was difficult, but we enjoyed some fresh ground nuts and had a nice walk through the village. 2) Staying in Thondan Thulasi Village Church. About 25 Dalit Christian families make up the congregation and we visited many of their homes (for about 2 minutes each) the first evening. We also sang and played games with the kids hanging out at the church – which was our home for the two nights (sleeping on woven mats on the floor was challenging, but we did it). 3) We attended a women’s devotional time, two flag raising ceremonies (one
at the top of a big hill and the other at the church as a part of the begi
nning of Advent), a worship service (where 4 young boys were baptized, Barbara preached, and Henrika and I sang our song in Tamil for them), a community lunch, and even the first night of Christmas Caroling through the village. Since the people hosting us are Dalits (untouchables) in a village that includes several Hindu families, each public event was a statement of faith and identity in which the congregation seemed to take great pride. I enjoyed two very wonderful quiet walks with our ‘guide and protector’ – a young boy about 12 yrs who I think was ‘assigned’ the job of watching out for the foreigners when the wandered away from the church! 3) We visited the Christian Medical College Hospital in the larger town of Vellore – one of the best hospitals in India, it seems. We had to take a self-guided tour, which was quite confusing, but at least we can say we’ve been there when people inevitably ask!It was good to be back on campus and catch up with friends whenever they were taking study breaks. However, after studying for my exam so diligently, I ended up getting sick just the night before the exam. I thought for sure it was malaria as I had a fever and chills and all that I saw my teammates go through… but both Henrika and I got tested and the results were negative, so I had just one really bad day of feeling awful. It ends up I got some kind of gut infection. Nice, huh? We went to a really nice hospital for the test and for a Dr. visit. I was impressed.
I make up my exam on Monday… the day I leave for Hyderabad, and before that there are 100 Christmas programs. I’m trying to regain strength, but also not miss some of the important goodbyes and celebrations that I’ve been looking forward to. I managed to see a Hindi movie in the theater as a part of my recouperation and last night was a big time of caroling and dancing.
I don’t know how this blog will happen next week, but I’ll get something on here. I have some great pictures, but once again, I am having trouble getting them up on the computer right now. Last of all, I will no longer have a phone after Sunday night. I’ll let you know if/when I get another. Please think of me as I begin to say goodbye to so many incredible people and this place that has quickly become home.
Wishing you ALL THE BEST!
Sara

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home