Happy Thanksgiving
One of my Thanksgiving traditions is to make a “happy list”. It is a list of things that, well… that make me happy! The list contains many of the same things each year, but there are also often additions or changes which come because of my life circumstances. I usually try to write specific things rather than general, like: Toasted Almond Fudge Ice Cream rather than Chocolate (just an example!) For this blog entry, I think I will focus on my happy list specifically for my time at UTC so far. I am being forced to reflect anyway for my papers and presentations, so I hope that it will also give you an overview of what has been important to me here. As a photo entry, here is a statue called "Happy Man" in Mysore. As you can see, it makes others happy too!:

Bhajan practice – especially when people clap and children dance (the rehearsal version of the bhajan is usually more lively than that it is in worship)
Balcony debriefing sessions with Henrika.
Having tea at Asongla’s.
Affection shared between men.
The weather!
My morning jog (listening to good music and also climbing several flights of stairs at the back of the library for a nice view to start my day!)
Late night chats or ice cream outings with Moses, Basy, and Mall.
Sitting on the chapel steps and processing life.
Professor Abraham Stephen’s many quirky questions and quotes.
Professor Kiran Sebastian (the mad scientist) at the organ.
Eating or serving at the mess hall… a playful environment!
Very little responsibility or stress – freedom to be spontaneous.
Learning songs in Tamil and Telegu
The affirmation and encouragement to question and ponder big questions.
Adventures and laughter around every corner (many opportunities to laugh at myself as well as the many entertaining characters here).
Being welcomed into an already close-knit community.
Constant process of transformation and growth all around me.
Singing on the College Bus
Walking around and sitting in the lawn with friends after lunch (see photo)
OK, now, to be fair, I better at least mention a few things that do not make me so happy here. Many are just minor annoyances, and these things don’t really influence my experience too much:
No privacy – 8,000 eyes on every move you make
Singing the same hymns over and again… at S-L-O-W speeds.
Male dominance pervading even an ‘aware’ community.
Wet plates and cups in the mess hall (sanitation – help!)
Garbage and dog poop to avoid every morning on my run.
Immature jokes or teasing.
Stereotypes of Americans, Christians, feminists, etc. (only from a few)
Sermons and meditations are often like lectures more than gospel sharing.
Public or private criticism that is not constructive.
Helpless feelings in the face of poverty, violence, and corruption
Students (including myself) being treated like teenagers.
And as for my week’s activities:
* Friday afternoon began with the women’s fellowship Christmas gathering, which included a funny skit, a beautiful dance with candles, gift exchange (I got toothpaste!) and some singing. Then, there was choir practice and on to a YMCA program and gathering.
* On Saturday, I went to buy a harmonium for the school (shhhh – it’s a secret!) with my friend, Moses, who is not only a wonderful musician, but also a very trustworthy person who can actually keep a secret in this place! Then, we waited for two hours to go to the inter-seminary competition because the college bus had been double booked. We arrived late, but we still competed and I won first prize for a Western solo! There actually wasn’t much competition, and I do have a slight advantage in being a Westerner, but UTC did wonderfully overall.
* Sunday brought a v
ery last minute trip to Mysore, which everyone had been telling me I need to see (along with a trillion other sites in India that aren’t so nearby). One of the men here was going there to preach for a Mizo Fellowship and he asked if I would be willing to come and sing. I quickly got permission to go and asked Henrika and Moses to come also. We had SO much fun! It was a 3 hour bus journey and a worship service in another language, but we also went to a carnival area and saw the lighting of the big palace there as well. I thought I was dreaming! The bus ride was also a blast because of friends with whom to share stories and a music game.
* Monday was pretty normal, except for a fight in one of our classes. I think everyone is still recovering, and trying to resolve that one. Academic concerns quickly become personal in such a tight community, so it was awfully tense.
* Tuesday I gave my presentation in class, which was not really done as well as I would have liked, but I guess it was OK. Henrika and I hosted a few of our friends for a little gathering that evening and the guys stayed until 2:30 pm when I finally said I was falling asleep. The maddening part was that the women had to go back to their hostel at 11:00 because they have a curfew that the guys don’t have! Grrrrrr…
* Wednesday was the last day of classes before Reading Days and exams. It was largely uneventful and I was TIRED! I went to bed at 9:00 and slept straight through til 6:00 am the next morning.
* Thursday was spent mostly on the computer and in my room TRYING to work on my paper, but there are always so many activities. I decided to take Henrika and Asongla out for a Thanksgiving dinner (at a Western food restaurant) after choir practice. I wasn’t craving the food, but it did taste good, and we had an Indian Cowboy singing to us through most of it.
I am definitely thankful for all of you, my fine friends and family, who are keeping track of me from such a distance. I am not very homesick in general yet, but of course, the holidays (especially one that no one celebrates here) do add to my thoughts and wishes to be with you. Hope you all are enjoying the start of holiday craziness.
Sara

Bhajan practice – especially when people clap and children dance (the rehearsal version of the bhajan is usually more lively than that it is in worship)
Balcony debriefing sessions with Henrika.
Having tea at Asongla’s.
Affection shared between men.
The weather!
My morning jog (listening to good music and also climbing several flights of stairs at the back of the library for a nice view to start my day!)
Late night chats or ice cream outings with Moses, Basy, and Mall.
Sitting on the chapel steps and processing life.
Professor Abraham Stephen’s many quirky questions and quotes.
Professor Kiran Sebastian (the mad scientist) at the organ.
Eating or serving at the mess hall… a playful environment!
Very little responsibility or stress – freedom to be spontaneous.
Learning songs in Tamil and Telegu

The affirmation and encouragement to question and ponder big questions.
Adventures and laughter around every corner (many opportunities to laugh at myself as well as the many entertaining characters here).
Being welcomed into an already close-knit community.
Constant process of transformation and growth all around me.
Singing on the College Bus
Walking around and sitting in the lawn with friends after lunch (see photo)
OK, now, to be fair, I better at least mention a few things that do not make me so happy here. Many are just minor annoyances, and these things don’t really influence my experience too much:
No privacy – 8,000 eyes on every move you make
Singing the same hymns over and again… at S-L-O-W speeds.
Male dominance pervading even an ‘aware’ community.
Wet plates and cups in the mess hall (sanitation – help!)
Garbage and dog poop to avoid every morning on my run.
Immature jokes or teasing.
Stereotypes of Americans, Christians, feminists, etc. (only from a few)
Sermons and meditations are often like lectures more than gospel sharing.
Public or private criticism that is not constructive.
Helpless feelings in the face of poverty, violence, and corruption
Students (including myself) being treated like teenagers.
And as for my week’s activities:
* Friday afternoon began with the women’s fellowship Christmas gathering, which included a funny skit, a beautiful dance with candles, gift exchange (I got toothpaste!) and some singing. Then, there was choir practice and on to a YMCA program and gathering.
* On Saturday, I went to buy a harmonium for the school (shhhh – it’s a secret!) with my friend, Moses, who is not only a wonderful musician, but also a very trustworthy person who can actually keep a secret in this place! Then, we waited for two hours to go to the inter-seminary competition because the college bus had been double booked. We arrived late, but we still competed and I won first prize for a Western solo! There actually wasn’t much competition, and I do have a slight advantage in being a Westerner, but UTC did wonderfully overall.
* Sunday brought a v
ery last minute trip to Mysore, which everyone had been telling me I need to see (along with a trillion other sites in India that aren’t so nearby). One of the men here was going there to preach for a Mizo Fellowship and he asked if I would be willing to come and sing. I quickly got permission to go and asked Henrika and Moses to come also. We had SO much fun! It was a 3 hour bus journey and a worship service in another language, but we also went to a carnival area and saw the lighting of the big palace there as well. I thought I was dreaming! The bus ride was also a blast because of friends with whom to share stories and a music game.* Monday was pretty normal, except for a fight in one of our classes. I think everyone is still recovering, and trying to resolve that one. Academic concerns quickly become personal in such a tight community, so it was awfully tense.
* Tuesday I gave my presentation in class, which was not really done as well as I would have liked, but I guess it was OK. Henrika and I hosted a few of our friends for a little gathering that evening and the guys stayed until 2:30 pm when I finally said I was falling asleep. The maddening part was that the women had to go back to their hostel at 11:00 because they have a curfew that the guys don’t have! Grrrrrr…
* Wednesday was the last day of classes before Reading Days and exams. It was largely uneventful and I was TIRED! I went to bed at 9:00 and slept straight through til 6:00 am the next morning.
* Thursday was spent mostly on the computer and in my room TRYING to work on my paper, but there are always so many activities. I decided to take Henrika and Asongla out for a Thanksgiving dinner (at a Western food restaurant) after choir practice. I wasn’t craving the food, but it did taste good, and we had an Indian Cowboy singing to us through most of it.
I am definitely thankful for all of you, my fine friends and family, who are keeping track of me from such a distance. I am not very homesick in general yet, but of course, the holidays (especially one that no one celebrates here) do add to my thoughts and wishes to be with you. Hope you all are enjoying the start of holiday craziness.
Sara

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home