Bengalooru
Friends, (every announcement, prayer, presentation, etc. begins with the word ‘friends’ here, so it’s rubbing off on me!) it is my duty to inform you that the name of the city where I am living presently has changed from Bangalore to Bengalooru. The official maps won’t begin to claim this name for a couple months, but November 1 was the 50th Anniversary of the state I am presently in (Karnataka) and several cities here are being renamed to shed some of the Anglo influence and reclaim Indian influence.
The other thing that is changing here is the weather. It may not be changing as much as it is in MN, but it has cooled off a bit and I am now wearing long sleeves more often. It is still very pleasant – don’t get me wrong! Sorry to those of you who are facing snow flurries and dreary conditions. One thing that hasn’t changed is the time zone in which I live. That means that now I am 11 ½ hours ahead of all the MN folks.
I guess I should let you know a
bout the past week! Last Friday, one of my classes visite
d a Jain (right photo) and a Sikh (left photo) temple. We explored the different symbols, architecture, and learned about the traditions from a guide at each place. It was extremely interesting, but only scratched the surface of what all there is to learn about these two religious belief systems. I, of course, had to make the first faux pas by walking counter-clockwise into the Jain temple, but no lightning bolt came down, so I guess I’m OK.
On Saturday, I led music, games, and shared about American ‘families’ at a Baptist Women’s retreat. I taught many new songs (from around the world) and modified my camp games for this small group of older ladies who had assembled there. It went well and I think we were able to mutually accept some of the differences between how family ‘works’ in either culture. Of course, I now have 25 more women praying for me to find a spouse and to have children!
Sunday, I sang with a group of students at a Telegu-speaking church service. I needed this outlet because last week, I wasn’t feeling 100% (my body finally realized that I’m in India!) and missed a few bhajan practices, so I hadn’t gotten my fill of Indian music in. I am feeling better now, but can’t seem to keep up with all the activities because they seem to multiply each day. I am now the ‘Choir Convener’ for the Christmas program (which basically means that I am supposed to talk a bunch of people into coming to rehearsals!)
On Mondays, final year students take turns planning their own worship service. This week, the student in charge had yoga as his theme. He demonstrated different postures and basically gave a lecture for his sermon. It was ‘interesting’ to say the least. I took part in the service by singing the fun songs people here had wrote for the occasion and I also danced a tribal dance with some folks.
I left campus three nights in a row for various outings as well this week. The first time was a social outing so Asongla, Henrika and I could go eat Tibetan momos and also treat ourselves to ice cream on one of the active city streets. The next day was Reformation Day (and Halloween), so I shared a little butterscotch candy with my favorite class of students. That led to one of the students rushing to find me in the evening to let me know that I could attend a Reformation Service at a Lutheran Church nearby with one of the professors here. I was mildly interested in the service, but much more interested in meeting the professor (Dr. Evangeline Anderson-Rajkumar) who is on sabbatical this year, but is a favorite teacher here. I soon found out why I hear so much about her! She is this incredibly dynamic and passionate womanist who draws people in like family immediately. Her husband is also a pastor and he led the service (in Tamil), but the coolest thing was that the tradition here has been that several Lutheran Churches listen to and also sing the entire story of Luther’s life! It was more Lutheran pride than I’ve seen in a LONG time!
The next day was the state holiday here, so we didn’t have classes. It was also All Saints Day (in the States, anyway), and I was fortunate again that a student once again informed me of a service I could attend at his church. I was longing to light a candle in memory of my special saint, Robin, and the Anglican service I attended was just what I needed. I won’t go into detail here. After the service, the church had a ‘fancy dress’ competition for the kids. Since they needed some ‘impartial judges’, they chose Henrika and I to rank three categories of kids in costumes. It ended up being my Halloween experience since there were some very creative costumes!
But I cannot forget to share the highlight of the week: Volleyball!!! After several weeks of discussion about the whole issue of segregated sports (men and women), I still wasn’t sure what would happen when my ‘house’ (team) got ready to play in the championship match. Well, they let me play and my team (who was presently in 1st place) was not doing so well at first. I believe the score was 5-19 and it was not looking good for us. Just then, I got up to serve and proceeded to serve consistently to win the game! It was CRAZY! I think the other team was in shock that I could serve at all the first few serves, but by the time they got themselves together, my team was very excited and there was no stopping us! It was great and I felt exhausted and energized at the same time. I’m still recovering!
I think the only final thing I have to share is that I was supposed to travel to a remote Dalit village this weekend, but the trip has been postponed because the proper protocols were not followed. I am sad, but hope to get the exposure experience in a few weeks time.
I guess I better end here. Wishing you all the best!
Sara
The other thing that is changing here is the weather. It may not be changing as much as it is in MN, but it has cooled off a bit and I am now wearing long sleeves more often. It is still very pleasant – don’t get me wrong! Sorry to those of you who are facing snow flurries and dreary conditions. One thing that hasn’t changed is the time zone in which I live. That means that now I am 11 ½ hours ahead of all the MN folks.
I guess I should let you know a
bout the past week! Last Friday, one of my classes visite
d a Jain (right photo) and a Sikh (left photo) temple. We explored the different symbols, architecture, and learned about the traditions from a guide at each place. It was extremely interesting, but only scratched the surface of what all there is to learn about these two religious belief systems. I, of course, had to make the first faux pas by walking counter-clockwise into the Jain temple, but no lightning bolt came down, so I guess I’m OK.On Saturday, I led music, games, and shared about American ‘families’ at a Baptist Women’s retreat. I taught many new songs (from around the world) and modified my camp games for this small group of older ladies who had assembled there. It went well and I think we were able to mutually accept some of the differences between how family ‘works’ in either culture. Of course, I now have 25 more women praying for me to find a spouse and to have children!
Sunday, I sang with a group of students at a Telegu-speaking church service. I needed this outlet because last week, I wasn’t feeling 100% (my body finally realized that I’m in India!) and missed a few bhajan practices, so I hadn’t gotten my fill of Indian music in. I am feeling better now, but can’t seem to keep up with all the activities because they seem to multiply each day. I am now the ‘Choir Convener’ for the Christmas program (which basically means that I am supposed to talk a bunch of people into coming to rehearsals!)
On Mondays, final year students take turns planning their own worship service. This week, the student in charge had yoga as his theme. He demonstrated different postures and basically gave a lecture for his sermon. It was ‘interesting’ to say the least. I took part in the service by singing the fun songs people here had wrote for the occasion and I also danced a tribal dance with some folks.
I left campus three nights in a row for various outings as well this week. The first time was a social outing so Asongla, Henrika and I could go eat Tibetan momos and also treat ourselves to ice cream on one of the active city streets. The next day was Reformation Day (and Halloween), so I shared a little butterscotch candy with my favorite class of students. That led to one of the students rushing to find me in the evening to let me know that I could attend a Reformation Service at a Lutheran Church nearby with one of the professors here. I was mildly interested in the service, but much more interested in meeting the professor (Dr. Evangeline Anderson-Rajkumar) who is on sabbatical this year, but is a favorite teacher here. I soon found out why I hear so much about her! She is this incredibly dynamic and passionate womanist who draws people in like family immediately. Her husband is also a pastor and he led the service (in Tamil), but the coolest thing was that the tradition here has been that several Lutheran Churches listen to and also sing the entire story of Luther’s life! It was more Lutheran pride than I’ve seen in a LONG time!
The next day was the state holiday here, so we didn’t have classes. It was also All Saints Day (in the States, anyway), and I was fortunate again that a student once again informed me of a service I could attend at his church. I was longing to light a candle in memory of my special saint, Robin, and the Anglican service I attended was just what I needed. I won’t go into detail here. After the service, the church had a ‘fancy dress’ competition for the kids. Since they needed some ‘impartial judges’, they chose Henrika and I to rank three categories of kids in costumes. It ended up being my Halloween experience since there were some very creative costumes!
But I cannot forget to share the highlight of the week: Volleyball!!! After several weeks of discussion about the whole issue of segregated sports (men and women), I still wasn’t sure what would happen when my ‘house’ (team) got ready to play in the championship match. Well, they let me play and my team (who was presently in 1st place) was not doing so well at first. I believe the score was 5-19 and it was not looking good for us. Just then, I got up to serve and proceeded to serve consistently to win the game! It was CRAZY! I think the other team was in shock that I could serve at all the first few serves, but by the time they got themselves together, my team was very excited and there was no stopping us! It was great and I felt exhausted and energized at the same time. I’m still recovering!
I think the only final thing I have to share is that I was supposed to travel to a remote Dalit village this weekend, but the trip has been postponed because the proper protocols were not followed. I am sad, but hope to get the exposure experience in a few weeks time.
I guess I better end here. Wishing you all the best!
Sara

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home