Classes Begin!
The week began with a worship service on Sunday night. This was the first gathering back of the community after break. Many of the students were serving in various areas around the country as a part of their “field study” over the last month, so it was a lively time. There are some fine musicians here and there was even a group of young girls who danced to a praise song.
The first day of classes was a bit chaotic. I was planning to attend 4 courses, but only 1 of them actually happened. It was a good way to ease in! However, by the end of the week, only 9 out of 14 classes that I wished to attend took place. I’m told that that’s just because it is the first week and things are getting settled. Most of the classes I am attending are with the 3rd year students. The courses for students becoming pastors are quite prescribed each term. They take the same courses at the same time with the people of their same year. This means that they know each other very well, look out for one another, and when I didn’t make it to one of the classes (I had two classes scheduled at the same time that day), I had about 5 people check in with me about why I was not there! The playfulness of their discussions with the professors had been very nice. It is a sense of community for sure. The humor is sometimes difficult to figure out. Is it their familiarity with each other that makes it funny? Is it only funny to Indians? Or is it particularly funny to the young men that make up the majority of the class? I assume it is a little of all of these.
In addition to classes, I began attending the Bhajan rehearsal each evening. Bhajans are traditional Indian songs used in worship. They are call and response, so they are not too difficult to learn and participate. Each day, the chapel service begins with a bhajan from one of the various places the students represent (that means each one is in a different language). They are played with tabla drums, finger cymbals, tambourine and harmonium. A group of leaders sits on the floor in the front of the chapel for this part of worship. (see photo)
On Wednesdays, the morning begins with a time for students and faculty to raise concerns and discuss important community issues. In the afternoon, students go to a social organization in the area to volunteer and learn about social ministry. I am hoping to accompany some of the groups, but I’m not sure if each site will be open to having a guest visit. There is also a small group in one of the men’s hostels that has devotions each night. I am supposed to lead devos on Oct. 9. Wish me luck! Basically, I don’t say no to any opportunity at this point. The students have been very helpful in letting Henrika and I know what is going on, but each day there are some new things we find out kind of by accident.
I have started eating with the students now during lunch and supper. That has gone quite well. The food tastes good and is not too spicy for me. It is basically rice and some kind of curry sauce on it each day, with a bit of meat for those who are not vegetarian. I have chosen to eat breakfast on my own each morning so that I can get some different things once in awhile.
My sleep has been much better (but lots of weird dreams) and I have been falling asleep around 10:00 and waking up at 6:00. That gives me a little time for exercise on campus before I attract too much attention to the white girl jogging in shorts! The campus is very relaxed and the students are quite casual in their interaction and what they wear (most women wear pants). Routine and familiarity is my friend as I start the day – it helps me to prepare for all the unexpected things that will come. I also have kept my habit of making a lot of lists, so some things never change!
Actually, as I had hoped, UTC is a good place to begin my adjustment to India. It is possible to get a feel for the culture and environment while surrounded with like-minded folks in a smaller community. Most students share a very positive view of religious pluralism (it is extremely necessary in a place that is so extremely diverse!) and as I discover more about the differences between each place (especially North India and South India), I realize that I am just one among many students who are experiencing a very new culture. I will likely say much more about this in future blogs, since I am focusing my study on religious pluralism in the Indian context.
Overall, I feel good emotionally and physically. I will continue to be positively challenged spiritually and socially. Academically, I still have many questions about how this all is going to work. I am attending a variety of classes, but don’t know how it will translate into credits yet.
Until later,
Sara
The first day of classes was a bit chaotic. I was planning to attend 4 courses, but only 1 of them actually happened. It was a good way to ease in! However, by the end of the week, only 9 out of 14 classes that I wished to attend took place. I’m told that that’s just because it is the first week and things are getting settled. Most of the classes I am attending are with the 3rd year students. The courses for students becoming pastors are quite prescribed each term. They take the same courses at the same time with the people of their same year. This means that they know each other very well, look out for one another, and when I didn’t make it to one of the classes (I had two classes scheduled at the same time that day), I had about 5 people check in with me about why I was not there! The playfulness of their discussions with the professors had been very nice. It is a sense of community for sure. The humor is sometimes difficult to figure out. Is it their familiarity with each other that makes it funny? Is it only funny to Indians? Or is it particularly funny to the young men that make up the majority of the class? I assume it is a little of all of these.

In addition to classes, I began attending the Bhajan rehearsal each evening. Bhajans are traditional Indian songs used in worship. They are call and response, so they are not too difficult to learn and participate. Each day, the chapel service begins with a bhajan from one of the various places the students represent (that means each one is in a different language). They are played with tabla drums, finger cymbals, tambourine and harmonium. A group of leaders sits on the floor in the front of the chapel for this part of worship. (see photo)
On Wednesdays, the morning begins with a time for students and faculty to raise concerns and discuss important community issues. In the afternoon, students go to a social organization in the area to volunteer and learn about social ministry. I am hoping to accompany some of the groups, but I’m not sure if each site will be open to having a guest visit. There is also a small group in one of the men’s hostels that has devotions each night. I am supposed to lead devos on Oct. 9. Wish me luck! Basically, I don’t say no to any opportunity at this point. The students have been very helpful in letting Henrika and I know what is going on, but each day there are some new things we find out kind of by accident.
I have started eating with the students now during lunch and supper. That has gone quite well. The food tastes good and is not too spicy for me. It is basically rice and some kind of curry sauce on it each day, with a bit of meat for those who are not vegetarian. I have chosen to eat breakfast on my own each morning so that I can get some different things once in awhile.
My sleep has been much better (but lots of weird dreams) and I have been falling asleep around 10:00 and waking up at 6:00. That gives me a little time for exercise on campus before I attract too much attention to the white girl jogging in shorts! The campus is very relaxed and the students are quite casual in their interaction and what they wear (most women wear pants). Routine and familiarity is my friend as I start the day – it helps me to prepare for all the unexpected things that will come. I also have kept my habit of making a lot of lists, so some things never change!
Actually, as I had hoped, UTC is a good place to begin my adjustment to India. It is possible to get a feel for the culture and environment while surrounded with like-minded folks in a smaller community. Most students share a very positive view of religious pluralism (it is extremely necessary in a place that is so extremely diverse!) and as I discover more about the differences between each place (especially North India and South India), I realize that I am just one among many students who are experiencing a very new culture. I will likely say much more about this in future blogs, since I am focusing my study on religious pluralism in the Indian context.
Overall, I feel good emotionally and physically. I will continue to be positively challenged spiritually and socially. Academically, I still have many questions about how this all is going to work. I am attending a variety of classes, but don’t know how it will translate into credits yet.
Until later,
Sara

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home