Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Colombo, Sri Lanka

I know that it has only been a few days since my last blog entry, but I'm not sure when I will have a chance to submit another entry. The next week will be full of activity and then it is Christmastime, so it's hard to know how easily accessible the computers will be in a new place during the holidays!

It's difficult to share much about Sri Lanka for me. Unlike my usual 'diving in headfirst', I have kept to myself a lot here and not really had much motivation to learn about culture or to meet people. Part of it has been the fact that I'm tired and decided to use the time for personal reflection and rest, but the other thing is that it is so much work to learn all the new things... and it's even harder when you know no one that you can ask. However, I have established a little bit of a routine and learned a few things just by necessity!

I have been staying at the YMCA here. It is a busy place, but my room has been pretty quiet. The old man who is at the front desk most of the time has become the one to watch out for me, and in the past two days, there is a younger man at that desk who has also helped me find my way around. When I arrived on Sunday afternoon, I noticed right away that things were SO quiet around me. Everything basically is closed on Sundays and to my surprise, eating establishments and internet cafes also close quite early here compared to India. In India, people often don't eat supper until 9:00 pm, so I was thrown off when I came to the YMCA dining place at 7:30 and it had just closed on Monday night! Although there are several internet and phone places near theYMCA, it wasn't very convenient to connect with people during good times in the U.S. I didn't mind the early closing in other ways because I decided to just be in my room after dark anyway.

The YMCA is in an ideal place for shopping, internet, bus station, and even just about 2 km from the Indian Embassy. I was able to walk everywhere and the walk to the Indian Embassy was mostly along the ocean, away from the busy road where tok-tok (rickshaw) drivers were constantly offering me a ride. It was surprisingly quiet on the beach and no one bothered me at all (I think they were mostly couples hiding beneath umbrellas anyway!). As for safety, I was told there was NO WORRIES at all because there are so many security/police/military people every few feet in this area. I'm not sure if it is because the Presidential Secretariat is just a few blocks away or what, but it is definitely the case. So, I do feel safe, and yet, it is hard to feel at ease with uniformed men holding machine guns everywhere. Whenever any government official is about to move from one place to another, they clear the streets and we all have to wait until the vehicles pass and then we can go on our way.

I eat at the YMCA and just discovered this morning (so late!) that they have soft, homemade bread every morning for breakfast. Oh - what I should have learned earlier! They have morning devotions too, but I was usually off to the internet cafe by that time already, so I didn't take part. The picture is taken from the internet cafe balcony looking down the road to the YMCA. There are mostly men around, but no one really talks to me and I don't talk to them either, even when sharing a table at a meal. Several people have asked me where I'm from, but I am usually short with an answer (I told you I am not my usual self!) and it doesn't go beyond that.

I had heard that Sri Lanka was a good place to shop because it's so inexpensive, but I haven't found that to be so true. I found a governmental craft shop that is really nice and got a couple gifts there for people in India. I wanted to buy a couple new chalwars, but it has taken me the whole week to figure out what's up with that scene. Most women here wear skirts or pants, with some in sarees, but I don't see many in chalwars. I also hadn't seen any shops selling them until yesterday when I came across some stores by accident. Up until then, I had mostly seen little shops on the street with rather cheap looking items, but I was sure the prices would be much higher for a Westerner like me. But then I found these inside stores which had quality products and prices on the items, so I think I'll go get one chalwar before the end of the day. I'm trying to use the rest of my money while saving enough for the bus ride back to the airport early tomorrow morning!

This afternoon I have to go to get my visa and then my job here will be complete. I spent 3 hours at the Indian High Commission on Monday, and then about 1/2 hour this morning. It has gone so smoothly that I have to think that maybe there were some prayers being answered or angels watching over or something. I won't say anything too much until I have the new visa in my hand and if it says 6 months multiple entry. That would just be perfect!!

I have slept well, but last night I had mosquito trouble and awoke with bites all over. Good thing I've been taking my meds to prevent malaria! It is really warm here, but the first day was the hottest and most humid (you know, it's not the heat that gets you... it's the humidity!!!). I go out and sweat, then come back to my room and take a cool bucket bath and lay under the fan to cool off. I'm glad for the attached bathroom in my room even if I didn't think I'd need it.

I have re-read my journal from my UTC time and also looked through the calendar from this whole past year. WOW - I don't know what to say except WOW. It certainly has been a tumultuous year for me. I certainly don't take anything for granted these days. I miss and treasure everyone back home and I look forward to the new adventures around every corner here.

I will write again around Christmas. Hoping all of you are having an anticipatory Advent!

Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home