Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Friday, March 02, 2007

New City, New Campus

My visit at UTC in Bangalore came to an end with lots of activities again, beginning with dinner at one of my professor’s homes and ending with worship and dinner on campus. In between, I did a good deal of packing and sorting through my things, worshiped at St. John’s church again (I’m beginning to really identify myself there it seems!), and attended a full day of “College Day” events throughout Saturday. The College Day celebration started with regional food stalls (yummy!) and games for various groups of people on campus. It was entertaining and relaxing for me since I had no responsibilities, but it certainly was a lot of work for the many people more involved (up early cooking or gathering supplies, decorating, rehearsing, etc.) There was a drawing competition and a Bible translation display also during the day. In the late afternoon and evening, there was an official meeting summarizing the year at UTC and presenting academic awards to students, but the entire event ended with a cultural program filled with music and dance from various groups on campus. It was very entertaining and of course, I took a picture to share with you of my favorite class (3rd year students) dancing like the Backstreet Boys!

Late on Sunday, I boarded the train and headed to Chennai, where I am presently. I am at Gurukul Lutheran Theological College – another of Luther Seminary’s partner institutions. Besides a bit of confusion upon my arrival, the folks at Gurukul have been extremely hospitable and I have been able to rest and recuperate a little bit, which I didn’t realize I needed so badly until now. I think the constant travel and transitioning is starting to wear on me a little, so I am allowing myself to slow down and enjoy lots of sleep in my HUGE apartment here and focus on more of my own personal projects. I haven’t explored Chennai at all, and I don’t feel badly about that in any way. It has been hard to know how much to invest in Gurukul campus life since I am only here one week, but I think I’ve had a good balance.

I had a fantastic meeting with the Director, Principal, and Bursar here regarding the partnership with Luther. It was exciting to begin work towards tangible ways of exchange, and to sense the energy and enthusiasm behind the programs from folks here. They took me to a buffet lunch after the meeting (great food) and we were able to actually speak very personally with one another, going beyond the academic and logistical planning that was done at the meeting. I also visited the offices of the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of India (yes, I’m back in the land of Lutherans – at least a little bit) and the Lutheran World Relief staff person here on Gurukul’s campus.

I have been eating with the students in the mess hall and have attended chapel and other community gatherings, such as bhajan practice, a movie and discussion about capital punishment, and a student body meeting about policies and rules that are not being adhered to. There are definitely lots of similarities between Gurukul and UTC as far as structure goes, but lots of little differences too. It is a smaller school, and while only 30% of the student population is Lutheran, there are little familiar signs that Martin has left his mark! I’ll add a photo of the chapel service here.

The last photo I want to share is of the busy city street outside of Gurukul’s gate. Perhaps you will notice and laugh at the same sign that caught my eye immediately upon arrival (you probably have to enlarge to see!)
I am perhaps leaving out so many thoughts and interesting stories, but it is at least a start. I have been missing the snow that you all are getting (FINALLY), especially since Chennai is hot and humid (and as you all know… “It’s not the HEAT that gets you, it’s the HUMIDITY!!!”)

Sweating it out and trying to stay ‘cool’,

Sara

1 Comments:

Blogger Moses Bollam said...

Hey,
It was fabulous to read your blog; it was very interesting to know all that is happening with you. I am glad that you had great time of learning, teaching, interacting with people, visiting new places, seeing new faces, and much more. So finally I would like to ask you; How did you find India? SMILE!

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home