Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Not every day events

I am looking forward to my visit home in a few weeks more than you can imagine… but that is still 24 days away. So, in the meantime, I felt that a little ‘pampering’ would be of benefit to my psyche. Some of my weekend plans were planned to be out of the usual routine, but others just kind of happened.

The time seemed right. I was invited to a special dinner to say goodbye to one of the people leaving the choir in which I just began singing. This gathering happened on Sunday night. It was at the extreme opposite side of town, in a fancy area, and happening late at night, so I decided that coming home alone afterward was not really the best idea. I asked to stay with one of the choir members who is also the sister of a co-worker of mine and she was more than happy to host me for the night.

Next step… take a comp day off from work on Monday so that I don’t have to make the great journey back after a late night party AND from such a great distance again. (I generally travel by bus, which could take about 1 ½ hours) And finally, I wanted to fill that comp day with things I don’t usually do.

I have had several bus adventures to areas that I have not yet explored much lately. It has caused mixed feelings regarding how I feel about public bus transport lately, but overall, the pride I have in accomplishing an inexpensive trip without getting lost is a great feeling. This weekend, I both journeyed into new territory as I led a group of new students at HMI on a shopping trip as well as a couple of trips around town by myself. It was exhausting travel since I had to stand in the very crowded buses most of the time, but I met some extremely helpful Hyderabadis in the process.

The party that I spoke of for our choir was a fabulous time. The food was super good, there was fabulous singing filling the night, and I got to know some of the people a lot better than I ever would have in regular rehearsals. I stayed up WAY past my bedtime, drank a rum and coke, and even got up and led a song in front of these musicians that I just met. And if we're talking about events that don't just happen every day, I visited a restored palace where a friend of some of the choir members lives! Yep - we just kind of hung out on one of the balconies looking over the inner courtyard fountain as though it was one of the most normal things to do.

On my Monday off, I was staying in a new place, so exploring the books, magazines, and music collection of my hostess was a nice way to start the day. However, it was the afternoon which was the truly different experience for me. Together with my hostess, I had a salon experience! Ever since I watched a friend get a pedicure at Christmastime, I have been considering doing the same. It seems like a huge indulgence to me, but here in Hyderabad, it is actually a reasonable price to pay for something that takes me so out of my element. While I was there, I also decided that I should get my haircut since I would pay more for a cut at ‘Cost Cutters’ in the States (which was on my task list for when I go home) than I would at this fancy place!

My first pedicure ever was wonderful. The attention given to my feet was really a treat. And since I really enjoy someone playing with my hair, the hair wash and cut was also extra special. The man who cut my hair insisted on making my hair less ‘boring’. I truly should have taken before and after pictures because they would have shown the dramatic difference. At a salon like this, you are definitely pampered. The physical touch and the environment of the place took away the stresses that seem to be surrounding me lately… at least for those couple of hours.

Then, it was back standing on the crowded bus, being told that we needed to go far out of our way because of some kind of road block near my home. Sigh… I’m home now and both my head and my feet are reminders of something new.

1 Comments:

Blogger Choralgrrl said...

:-) Excellent.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home