Namas-day

Namaste = I greet the God within you. I changed the spelling slightly to reflect my day-to-day events, so now it's "namas-day"! Join me in my Indian journey... learning all about interreligious dialog in a complex context. Or just stay in touch.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Food for the Spirit

One of the groups at our annual summer course on Islam and Interfaith Relationship made a presentation on the topic “Fasting in Various Faith Traditions”. It was food for thought (pardon the pun) in more ways than one for me. One of the questions raised was, “What is the difference between starvation and fasting from all food and drink?” It comes down to intent and choice. Is there spiritual blessing in starvation in the same way as there is in fasting?

I have felt starved for spiritual food lately. To be honest, there are many times lately that I have wondered if my spirit is slowly dying… and what to do about it. I certainly have choices and do not have to allow this starvation of spirit. If I choose to go without some of the things that usually feed me, it could be a discipline, but that has not been the case. Some kind of discipline is necessary in caring for my spiritual health, but in this case, it is not fasting that is most fitting… but rather it is abundant and rich food!

In the book I have been reading (one of the ‘foods’ I have chosen for myself is to read inspiring things), it talked about yoga being a wholistic care for the self… body, mind, and spirit. This is the kind of discipline and care for my spirit that makes the most sense for me. I never have done much fasting and probably don’t understood fully the benefits of it, but especially at a time like this, I find that a discipline like yoga fits better – to not further test my body by withholding, but rather be good to it by strengthening it.

When it comes to the literal food I’ve been eating these last two weeks, it has definitely not been abundant or rich. We held the summer course at a retreat center called St. Theodore’s Sanatorium (isn’t a sanatorium usually for those who have mental distress? If so, that word is probably far more fitting for our group!). It is a place for the training of Catholic priests. For me, I was quite content to settle into a very simple lifestyle with no expectations of the comforts of my life in Hyderabad. The most simple foods were served on a daily basis (same exact taste too), we are several kms from the nearest town, and the rooms were priest ‘cells’ in which even I had to duck my head to enter through the small door! Others were rather quick to complain, make requests for changes or special treatment, or actually have their bodies struggle with illness.

I was trying very hard to enjoy the occasional buttermilk, fresh vegetables, chicken or fish served; the cool, refreshing and beautiful environment; the amazing servant-like, kind and thoughtful attitude of the brothers and other workers here; the wonderful warm water for a bath after an afternoon volleyball game; and other lovely aspects of being ‘away’ - despite the struggles others were expressing. It wasn’t until the last day or two that I grew weary of the food and started to wonder if it was taking a toll on my health as well. It made me consider needs vs. wants a lot. I guess I’m still contemplating this topic in a big way. What are my limits? How do I keep a positive and big picture view of my situation amidst consistent stresses and sacrifices?

Before concluding this blog, I want to tell you about a gift of grace I was given the past few weeks. Her name is Martha (kneeling in front with blue skirt), and she was one of the guest faculty members for our course. She is an Islamic scholar and ordained person from the Netherlands who lived for several years in Gambia. (From this description, don’t you already like her too?) Not only did Martha go FAR above and beyond the call of duty for the students in this course, but she was a huge support for me and others in their mental, emotional, and physical distress. I don’t know where she got the strength, but she truly gave herself fully. I cannot imagine what this experience would have been like without her. As usual, phenomenal women mentors/friends inspire me and feed me with rich and abundant life!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home